Apr 03, 2019 - Apr 30, 2019
Ideal for training the new-hire
or as a refresher for existing staff, APCO’s PST1 course covers the basics
skills, knowledge and abilities every successful public safety telecommunicator
needs to meet the demands of this critical work.
Students successfully passing the
final exam receive APCO Institute certification demonstrating completion of a
training course that meets and exceeds industry accepted national basic
training standards, including the APCO/ANS 220.127.116.115 and NFPA 1061 2014
Building on foundational topics
such as communication skills, calltaking and radio techniques, the PST course
blends in the most up-to-date information on technology and work-related issues
in public safety communications centers. “Hot” topics include NextGen 9-1-1,
emerging technologies, continuing ed., and liability.
Training modules include:
- Introduction to Your new Career
- Interpersonal Communications
- Telephone Communications Techniques: Call Processing
- Telephony, Traditional Technology
- Next Generation 9-1-1
- Telephony: TTY
- Telematics and Collision Notification Systems
- Computer-Aided Dispatch (CAD) and Related technologies
- Radio Communications Techniques
- Radio Technology
- Call Classifications
- NIMS Incident Command System
- Liability Issues
- Preparing for your New Career (stress management)
APCO Institute certified Public Safety Telecommunicators are required to
recertify every two years. Complete information on the recertification process
is provided at the conclusion of the Public Safety Telecommunicator 1, Seventh
Edition course. Recertification requires ongoing continuing education.
* You must be a current Associate, Full or Commercial member to receive member discounts on all courses. Online members receive member discounts on online courses only.
Late fee $25 (applied 10 days prior to course start date)
Tuition includes a comprehensive course manual and all certification fees.
Additional shipping fees may apply for international shipments.
Tuition for live courses does not include travel, lodging, meals or other costs. Online class tuition does not include web access fees or other local internet/web-related costs. Successful students will earn APCO Institute certification.