Effective communications is a critical component of fire service operations. It provides the vital link between citizens and responders. APCO Institute's Fire Service Communications, 2nd Edition course continues to advance fire communications training, improving service to the caller and increasing safety of the responders. This dynamic course covers the terms, techniques and protocols required for excellence in fire service call taking and dispatch. Choose a course number to learn more.
- History and Organization Structure of the Fire Service
- Anatomy of Fires
- Fire Service Apparatus and Terminology
- Role of the Fire Service Telecommunicator
- Information Gathering Techniques, Methods for Receiving Reports
- Fire Dispatch Procedures, Broadcasting
- Mutual Aid and Mutual Response Agreements
- Fire Service Incidents
- National Incident Management System and Incident Command System
- Hazardous Material Incidents
- Terrorism Incidents
The course manual contains numerous photographs and illustrations to bring the course material to life and serves as an excellent reference source once back on the job.
APCO Institute certified instructors who successfully complete this course can upgrade their instructor certificate to teach this dynamic course in-house or regionally for the cost of the course books only!!
Instructional media and exercises used throughout the course reinforce the knowledge attained in lecture and demonstration. If taught by your own APCO Institute certified instructors, it becomes an economical way to train your staff at your own pace.
CDEs Earned: 32
APCO certified FSCs must provide proof every two years of 24 hours (12 hours per certification year) of Continuing Dispatch Education (CDE). Complete information on the recertification process is provided at the conclusion of the Fire Service Communications, 2nd Ed., Version 1 course. Recertification requires ongoing continuing education.
* You must be a current Associate, Full or Commercial member to receive member discounts on all courses. Online members receive member discounts on online courses only.
Late fee $25 (applied 10 days prior to course start date)
Tuition includes a comprehensive course manual and all certification fees.
Additional shipping fees may apply for international shipments.
Tuition for live courses does not include travel, lodging, meals or other costs. Online class tuition does not include web access fees or other local internet/web-related costs. Successful students will earn APCO Institute certification.