Feb 15, 2023 - Mar 07, 2023
Due to the nature of this topic it is highly recommended that students have successfully completed a 40-hour formal basic instructor-led telecommunicator training program.
Active shooter incidents are high-risk, high-stakes events that, without warning, can cause devastating consequences in just a few brief moments. For all facets of public safety, including communications, there are a host of issues that make responding to an active shooter incident more difficult than many other armed subject calls.
These types of incidents have been increasing in frequency. Shooters have a wider range of more powerful weapons available. The motivations behind these incidents continue to grow more complex. As with any other type of emergency situation, the telecommunicator plays a vital role in the response to active shooter incidents.
Telecommunicators need to be aware of the unique challenges posed by active shooter incidents and be prepared to address them well in advance. This course looks at the role of the telecommunicator through all stages of an active shooter incident.
This course is built on the experiences of frontline telecommunicators who have worked active shooter incidents. Upon their recommendation, the course is structured along the arc of events that happen before, during and after an active shooter incident. The goal of the course is to educate telecommunicators about the intricate issues and challenges posed by active shooter incidents, including preparedness for an incident, response to an incident and the role the telecommunicator plays following an incident.
- Overview of incidents, perpetrators and targets
- Phases of an active shooter incident
- Getting and handling calls reporting an incident
- Dispatch and ongoing communications
- Responder safety and secondary dangers
- Handling calls from victims trapped in the incident
- Telecommunicators’ role post-incident: rescue and extraction
- Recovery from an incident: impact and stress, ongoing issues
Perfect for a one-day pre-conference or post-conference course.
||Contact us for pricing
||Contact us for pricing
* You must be a current Associate, Full or Commercial member to receive member discounts on all courses. Online members receive member discounts on online courses only.
Late fee $25 (applied 10 days prior to course start date)
Tuition includes a comprehensive course manual and all certification fees.
Additional shipping fees may apply for international shipments.
Tuition for live courses does not include travel, lodging, meals or other costs. Online class tuition does not include web access fees or other local internet/web-related costs. Successful students will earn APCO Institute certification.